Restaging Shelter on National TV!
Restaging Shelter is airing on PBS stations until 2015 in many of the
top U.S. markets including New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and Dallas.
This award-winning documentary directed by Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) dance professor Martha Curtis and film director Bruce Berryhill features Urban Bush Women’s work Shelter and the process of teaching it to VCU students.
*New Yorkers please ask WNET, your PBS station,
to air Restaging Shelter HERE
CLICK HERE for more info on VCU
To request an interview, press kit or hi-res image email Marketing and Development Assistant, Lai-Lin Robinson, or call us in the office at 718.398.4537.
- “Accentuating the Improvisational” by Claudia La Rocco, February 2012 - The New York Times
- “Cultural Alliance of Greater Birmingham receives $100,000 for civil right arts, culture initiative” by Michael Huebner, May 2012 - The Birmingham News
- "Your City is a Cultural Center: A Review of the ‘Spacing Out’ Forum" by Natalia Radywyl, August 2012 - PPS.org
- "Dance performance in Hartsville promotes voting" by Ardie Arvidson, September 2012 - SCNOW.org
- "How To Dance To The Preamble Of The United States Constitution" by Jordan Levin, October 2012 - NPR
- "DanceMotion USA 2010 Retrospective," June 2011 - BAM
- "Urban Bush Women: Caught in the Act," produced by Jonathan Lief and Irina Khokhlova, June 2011 - BRIC
- "Juneteenth and Slavery in Brooklyn," by Jonathan Mandell, June 2011 - Fort Greene-Clinton Hill Patch
- "Jawole Willa Jo Zollar Mines KC Memories in New Choreography," by Sylvia Maria Gross, May 2011 - KC Currents, KCUR
- "Diversity produces 'America: Now and Here' dance concept," by Libby Hanssen, May 2011 - The Kansas City Star
- "Sisters Standing Up to the Man," by Claudia La Rocco - April 2011 - The New York Times
- "An Active Anniversary," by Susan Reiter, April 2011 - NY Press
- "FSU dance professor Jawole Zollar 'the best of the best,'" by Doug Blackburn and Mark Hinson, April 2011 - Tallahassee.com
- "A Female Force: Five company leaders on how gender shapes their vision and style," by Victoria Looseleaf, March 2011 - Dance Magazine
- "Three questions with Jawole Willa Jo Zollar," by Lynn Peisner, January 2011 - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- "25 years of dance with Urban Bush Women," by Andrew Alexander, January 2011 - Creative Loafing Atlanta
- "Coming to the Rialto: Urban Bush Women founder Jawole Willa Jo Zollar refuses to stay put," by Daryl Foster, January 2011 - ArtsCriticATL
"Why I Dance," by Paloma McGregor, UBW Company Member, June 2009 - Dance Magazine"Phenomenal Women," by Michelle Vellucci, March 2009 - Dance Teacher Magazine